The decision created a precedent known as the "right to be forgotten", and in the eight months since more than 145,000 people have asked Google for almost 500,000 links to be removed. That is more than 1000 requests a day.
Dr Katina Michael, an associate professor at the University of Wollongong's school of information system, said Google Australia was not immune to the pressure and was under considerable pressure to respond to removal requests.
"There is certainly a chance that the ECJ's ruling will be adopted here in Australia if enforced by the Australian Privacy Commissioner," she said.
Sophie Bradshaw, special council at law firm Corrs Chambers Westgarth, said she had observed an increase of 'right to be deleted' requests since the March reforms.
"Individuals want the organisation to remove all records of them, including archived data, data collected through cookies and any other interactions between the individual and the organisation," she said.
Earlier this year, the Australian Law Reform Commission recommended Australia adopt the right to be deleted, which would enable people to compel organisations to delete or de-identify information held about them, even if it was collected legitimately.
"It remains to be seen whether the recommendation will be enforced in Australia, but that should not stop individuals from approaching Google if they are concerned about content online that breaches their privacy," said Dr Michael.
Citation: Henry Belot, November 19, 2014, "Experts fear a European 'right to be forgotten' online ruling may be duplicated in Australia", The Sydney Morning Herald, https://www.smh.com.au/technology/experts-fear-a-european-right-to-be-forgotten-online-ruling-may-be-duplicated-in-australia-20141110-11jyra.htm